Our success on the water is dependent on how convincing we are… to ourselves and the species we chase. This short film from Pacific Extremes has some great footage of the game we play.
Fly Fishing News
Smith Optics has released new frame designs for Fall 2014, utilizing their cutting-edge ChromaPop polarization technology for the “best optical experience” on the water. Read more in the press release below.
Winston has added three new two-handed rods to their Boron III series. The Microspey rods combine the power of a spey rod and the finesse of a trout rod and are available in 3-5 wt. Read more in the press … more
Kara Armano gives us the lowdown on Sage’s newest rod families, which incidentally swept Best Freshwater (Accel), Best Saltwater (SALT) and Best of Show (SALT) at the recent International Fly Tackle Dealer show last month.
Kristen Mustand of Nautilus Reels explains the CCFX2 Silver King reels, which won two awards at this year’s International Fly Tackle Dealer’s Show in Orlando. The CCFX2 Silver King is another pairing of light, yet durable aluminum frame with high-performance … more
- Corey Rich from Adorama gives some great advice on camera gear as well as techniques for getting great shots when out on the water.
- The recently released Colorado Climate Change report notes rising temperatures and lessening snowpack, which threaten the state’s watersheds. Read more from Jeff Florence via Colorado Trout Unlimited.
- In the second installment of the Musky on the Fly series by Bill Sherer, learn detailed technique and tactics from an expert on the species.
- Reynolds Wolff of the Weather Channel joins Tom Rosenbauer on a recent Orvis Podcast, to talk about how the weather impacts fish behavior and fishing conditions.
- Nearly 80,000 Acres are now protected through the approval of the establishment of the Tugursky Nature Reserve in the Russian Far East’s Khabarovsk Region.The hard work of The Wild Salmon Center (WSC), Khabarovsk Wildlife Foundation (KWF), and other partners will protect critical salmon habitat within the Tugur Watershed.
- Catching bass on topwater is unarguably a ton of fun. Kirk Deeter shares some techniques for making popper fishing more effective in a recent post on Field & Stream’s ”Fly Talk.”
The recent spill of billions of gallons of mining waste at the Mount Polley mine in British Columbia is a reminder of what’s at stake in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Take time to tell the EPA to stop the proposed Pebble Mine project during the open comment period, now through Sept. 19th.
Peter Rand, recently returned back from a Fulbright fellowship in Japan to study populations of itou salmon, reports on his research and findings via National Geographic. “In the parlance of conservation, itou is a flagship species,” explains Rand, “so focus on this particular fish helps us protect a variety of taxa and the river ecosystem itself, and also helps us move toward enhanced economic benefits from ecotourism and salmon fisheries.”
The recent Mount Polley Mine disaster in British Columbia is a sobering reminder of what’s at stake in Bristol Bay. “It’s a tragedy, but a tragedy we can learn from,” writes Chris Hunt. “It should give us the perspective we need to finally put the ill-conceived Pebble Mine proposed for Alaska’s salmon-rich Bristol Bay drainage to rest, once and for all.” You can read Part One, Part Two and Part Three in a blog series via the Trout Unlimited blog.
- Even if you’re drifting a streamer, presentation matters. Louis Cahill outlines why in a recent post on Gink & Gasoline.
- Climate change is impacting small streams and trout feeding behavior. Bob Unnasch, director of science for The Nature Conservancy, writes a piece in Idaho Nature Notes on his observations of Silver Creek and Redband trout in rising water temperatures and what anglers should do in light of these changes.
- Extended-body mayflies are beautiful but can be intimidating to tie. Matt Grobert of Tightlines Productions recently put together a helpful instructional tying video for an Extended-Body Light Cahill pattern that is approachable and easy, without compromising on looks.