Listen to Zach Matthews’s interviews with company executives and product designers from Patagonia, RIO, FishPond, Temple Fork, and Cloudveil.
- Dave Thompson talks about FishPond’s updated vest/chest pack products with waterproof breathable fabrics, the Dakota Rod and Reel Travel Bag, which holds four or five rods plus half a dozen reels, the Overland Trail Rod Tube Case, and the PIO Pod, a micro trash container with attachment ring.
- Ned Hutchinson from Cloudveil talks about their new Hellroaring Wading Pant with 5-layer fabric and the new Hellroaring Jacket — a softshell with handwarmer and zippered back pocket, for $200.
- Rod designer Bob Meiser describes the new 11-foot switch rods from Temple Fork Outfitters.
- Simon Gawesworth from RIO says their emphasis in 2009 products is on new saltwater line developments, including changed cores, coatings, colors and tapers. A bonefish line with a radically different taper and a new redfish line are joining some new drift-boat lines in the lineup.
- Bill Klyn of Patagonia describes their new ’09 Guidewater waders with merino-wool lined neoprene foot designs, new hip-high waders, the recyclable SST Jacket, and new Guidewater shirts, pants and shorts. They are also working with Merrill and Vibram on enviro-friendly soles for their new protected-toe sandals.