Tippets: Knowing Knots, Men vs. Boys, “Team Steelhead,” Pot Raid Nets Illegal Fish, UW Fly Fishing Symposium, Underwater Photo Contest Winners
- Lance Egan gives a quick rundown on which knots to use from the backing to fly.
- “Fly fishing in the spring can separate the men from the boys.” Most reports across the lower 48 highlight the unusually warm weather; not in Alaska.
- “Team Steelhead”, a group of middle school students at Santa Monica Alternative School House under the tutelage of science teacher Kurt Holland, won the QuickSCience Challenge with their project, “Damn the Dam! Restoration.”
- A Mendocino County pot raid netted 18 frozen wild steelhead—17 of which were spawning females—along with hundreds of plants.
- The University of Wyoming will host the 2012 Fly Fishing Symposium and Fly Fishing Film Tour Friday, April 27. Events include tying demonstrations, casting instruction, and the film tour.
- Winners of the University of Miami underwater photography contest have been announced. The contest is held annually and is open to all amateur photographers who earn no more than 20 percent of their income from their photography.