Hatchery and Fish Farm Dilemmas
A short round-up of hatchery news proves only that hatcheries remain controversial in impact and politically charged — especially in an era of economic austerity.
- Wild Steelhead Coalition and Native Fish Society want those who care about wild steelhead to ask Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife to can the Snider Fish Hatchery. (via Moldy Chum)
- $46 million Ruth Burnett Sport Fish Hatchery in Anchorage sits unused as engineers try to solve water-quality problems.
- Wild salmon advocates on Canada’s Atlantic coast say fish farms will lead to interbreeding and disease.
- Fish hatchery managers in Northeastern Oregon euthanize more than 40,000 rainbow trout because the fish tested positive for a IHN virus.
- Wild UK salmon numbers inexplicably soar, except in west Scotland, where salmon farms are plentiful.