The fifth annual International Bonefish & Tarpon Trust Symposium will be held November 7-8, 2014 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. The two day event will feature top scientists and research as well as technique instructors and clinics.
Read more in the press release below.
The Fifth International Bonefish & Tarpon Trust Symposium
November 7-8, 2014
Top scientists share their latest results on why the fish do what they do. Top anglers and guides share their time-tested techniques for catching these iconic gamefish of the flats.
Join us for two full days of fascinating presentations by the world’s top tarpon, bonefish, and permit biologists mixed with enjoyable fishing and casting clinics taught by some of the world’s top anglers and instructors including Andy Mill.
Other guests include: Stu Apte, Bill Curtis, Will Benson, Ralph Delph, Joe Gonzalez, Steve Huff, Bob Branham, and Paul Tejera.
Schedule Of Events:
Science and Conservation
The Main Scientific Session will take place in the Events Hall at IGFA. This session will provide a venue for presentations and Q&A about the latest research of bonefish, tarpon, permit, and the fisheries.
- Friday 8:30am – 4:50pm: opening presentation, bonefish, permit
- Saturday 8:30am – 3:00pm: tarpon, angler action, Belize, economics
- Two Initiative Sessions will take place on Saturday at the conference room at the Courtyard Hotel (adjacent to IGFA). These sessions will include presentations specific to the Initiatives followed by Discussion.
- Bahamas Initiative, 9:00am – Noon: The goal of this session is to summarize progress to date, highlight the ongoing collaborations, outline plans for moving forward, and discuss progress, threats, and future collaborations
- Florida Keys Initiative, 1:00pm – 4:00pm: The goal of this session is to summarize progress to date, ongoing and planned research and conservation efforts, and discuss plans for moving forward.
Expert Panel Discussions will take place in the Gulf Stream Room at IGFA and in the Dolphin room across the street at the Courtyard Marriott Ft. Lauderdale. These Panels provide a venue for experts to share their fishing strategies with attendees, share their thoughts about the state of the fishery, and answer questions from audience members.
- Tarpon Panel Discussion, Friday 10:00AM – Noon. Moderator Andy Mill. Sponsored by Hardy
- Bonefish Panel Discussion, Friday 3:00PM – 5:00PM. Moderator Russ Fisher (Located in the Dolphin Room at the Marriott)
- Permit Panel Discussion, Saturday 10:00AM – Noon. Moderator Bill Stroh. Sponsored by Costa
- International Panel Discussion, Saturday 1:00PM – 3:00PM. Moderator Luis Menocal
- Legends Panel Discussion, Saturday 3:00PM – 5:00PM. Moderator Jeff Harkavy
Fly Tying and Sponsors
The IGFA Lobby will house tables for invited fly tiers and for sponsors. These tables will be present all day Friday, Saturday through 2pm. Fly Tiers Include: Enrico Puglisi, Peter Smith, Tim Blair, Rick Carl, Tim Borski, Joe Mahler and Andrei Stroman.
- Enrico Puglisi Fly Tying Clinic – Friday 1:00PM – 2:40PM, Gulf Stream Room
There will be multiple fishing-related clinics Friday and Saturday. Most clinics will take place outside, with one clinic in the Gulf Stream Room.
- BOTE Paddle Boards presents a Standup Paddle Board Demonstration, Friday 3:00PM – 4:00PM, Outside
- Hell’s Bay Presents fly casting with Todd Fuller and Joe Gonzalez, Friday noon- 2:00PM
- Hardy presents the Andy Mill Tarpon Clinic, Friday 5:30PM – 7:00PM, Gulf Stream Room
- Hell’s Bay presents C.A. Richardson, Light Tackle Techniques for the Flats, Saturday 1:00PM – 2:30PM
- Pat Ford Photo Clinic, 10:30-12:15, (Dolphin Room, Courtyard Marriott)
- Film and Art Festival: Sponsored by Orvis and Bote- Friday
- Film Festival, 8:00PM – 9:00PM, Events Hall
- Art Festival, 6:30PM – 10:00PM, Lobby
- Bar Sponsored by Tito’s Handmade Vodka and Sweetwater Brewing
- Silent Auction and Banquet – Saturday
- Silent auction and cocktail hour, 6:00PM – 7:30PM, Events Hall and Lobby
- Banquet sponsored by Carrabbas, 7:30PM – 10:00PM, Hall of Fame Room
Be There. Celebrate the Fish – Support the Science.
- Click Here To Register
- Hotel Accommodations: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- More Info: Phone 703-350-9195 or e-mail email@example.com
- Event Chairman: Chris Peterson – Hell’s Bay Boatworks
- Event Committee: Aaron Adams, Jeff Storm Harkavy, Mike Duckworth, Bill Stroh, Luis Menocal, Alex Lovett-Woodsum, Bill Klyn, Andy Mill, Steve Stanley
View the full list of Symposium Sponsors